We at Lyons Roofing Company hope this roof question and answer will help you gain the knowledge you need to make the right decision when it comes to your roof replacement or repair.
Everything being the same, shingle brand, vents and climate- which roof will last the longest: one with a steep pitch or one with a shallow pitch?
You would think common sense would prevail in this situation, you think hey a steep hillside erodes faster than a low slope, so you would think that roof shingles would wear out more quickly on a steeply sloped roof.
Really its not that cut and dry, it is difficult to say with so many other factors leading to the failure of a roof system. On one hand you could say, a steep roof is less likely to collect leaves and debris that hold moisture against the shingles and invite the growth of moss and algae.
On the other hand, that same roof in a wide-open un-shaded area facing due south will take the full brunt of the sun, which is hard on any roof, regardless of the amount of ventilation.
So, what is the answer to which roof will last the longest?
There is no answer! Wait, then how is this a good question to ask? Nobody said it was, just a common question! You know the old saying, the only dumb question is one that isn’t asked.
As a homeowner, you have to look at a few other factors other than pitch that will have a greater impact on asphalt roof longevity.
Major Impacts on roof longevity
- Poor installation
- The side facing your worst weather typically takes a bigger beating than your leeward side.
- Proper roof and attic ventilation.
- Leaves, branches and other debris left on your roof for long periods of time.
- Storms (Hail, Wind, Etc.)
- If you have, any roofing question related to the topic above please feel free to email or call Lyons Roofing Company and we will be more than happy to answer the question quickly.